Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bill of Sale


I bought a 1971 Bristol 27 this afternoon. I've known the previous owner from mooring our boats in Wiscasset, ME. Peter and I were boat yard neighbors for a few seasons and we had helped each other out a few times at the yard. I regret that I never sailed on the 27 when I had the chance but I prefer being the captain so I never gave up the helm on Scout to sail the B 27.

From all I've read she feels a little tender until about 15 degrees and then she digs right in and stays put. I'm moving up in size so I doubt she'll feel tender to me. This is a Carl Alberg design and at the time of designing this boat he was well known for his success designing the Pearson Triton and Alberg 35.

My uncle Bob and aunt Marijke came by the house last night to talk to me about the 27 since they had owned one a few years back. They brought over some pictures and brochures of their boat which was encouraging since mine is a bit of a wreck. They have two daughters who were young when they owned the boat and they really talked up the family sailing trips. They said not to wait until your kids are in high school. Fat chance getting the kids to hang out with Mom and Dad then.

I picked up the boat for a fair price and the previous owner was genuinely happy to see the boat go to me. Now it's time to get to work.

I'm looking forward to the laborious chores one brings to bear when buying a 40 year old boat for the price of a 1992 Honda civic. I've spent a few hours scratching my head and moving stuff from port to starboard. Now it's time for list of "things to do" that enables me to get the boat in the water this summer. The secondary roads were just posted so she's going to be on Rt 1 for another 4 to 5 weeks. That's ok since I'll be sanding, painting and removing items for sprucing up or disposal. Has anyone else seen or heard of blower motors and bilge pumps in an outboard well?






1 comment: